What is Sensitive Skin?
Sensitive skin is one which is unable to tolerate any unfavourable conditions in the environment, and which easily gets irritated on contact with foreign materials (including some skin care products).
For this reason, some products are especially labelled as sensitive skin care products.
The degree of sensitivity can vary from person to person.
Generally, all skin types respond negatively to detergents and other chemical- laden products. However, the damage starts generally beyond a defined threshold or tolerance level. This tolerance level is very low for sensitive skin types, leading to skin getting damaged very easily and quickly.
Sensitive skin care products either avoid the potential irritants or keep them at very low concentrations.
Here 10 tips on how to take care of your sensitive skin:
- Use sensitive skin care products only (i.e., the products that are marked for sensitive skin care only). Check the directions on the product to see if there are specific restrictions/warnings associated with the product.
- Even within the range of sensitive skin care products, choose the one that has minimum preservatives, colourings and other additives.
- Do not use alcohol-based toners. Nirvana Natural Bliss toners are alcohol-free.
- Wear protective gloves when doing dishes or other chemical-based cleaning. If you are allergic to rubber, you can wear cotton gloves below the rubber ones.
- Avoid excessive exposure to sun. If you need to be outdoors, apply sunscreen before, wear a sun hat and don’t forget to reapply sunscreen.
- Avoiding exposure to dust and other pollutants is also important for sensitive skin care. So, cover yourself adequately before going out.
- Use fragrance-free, noncomedogenic moisturisers as a sensitive skin care product. We recommend the Nirvana Natural Bliss Facial Moisturiser for sensitive skin.
- Use gentle cleansers that are alcohol-free. Cleanse your face whenever you return from spending time extended periods outdoors.
- Sensitive skin may not tolerate exfoliation and may cause redness and inflammation.
- Do not leave the makeup on for too long. Use a gentle cleanser to wash off.
Sensitive skin care is very different from the normal skin care in that it is more about being careful with your skin (both in terms of sensitive skin care products and protection against environmental triggers).